You don’t have to be Ukrainian to love this Lasagna! Try this delicious take on an Italian favourite. Your family will be begging for more!
2 lb ground beef
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
2 x 284 ml cans tomato soup
1/2 cup water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp black pepper
2 beaten eggs
500 g shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup minced onion
1 tbsp salad oil
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vinegar
500 g dry cottage cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 kg. pkg. Potato & Cheddar Perfect Pierogies
1. Brown ground beef in skillet and drain off oils.
2. Sauté onion & garlic in oil in skillet, add cooked ground beef, soup, ketchup, water and seasonings. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Mix cottage cheese with beaten egg and sour cream.
4. Chop each pierogy into four sections.
5. Spoon half of the meat sauce into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan (glass pan preferably). Layer with
half of the chopped pierogies. Layer with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan cheese.
6. Repeat for a second layer. Sprinkle chopped fresh dill over top.
Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees F. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Perfect Pierogies Made Easy on the BBQ
1 dozen Perfect Pierogies
1 Tbsp butter or margarine
1 Tbsp water
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced bacon
1. Place your favourite flavour of Perfect Pierogies on a double layer of aluminum foil.
2. Spread butter or margarine over the pierogies.
3. Add water, onions and bacon.
4. Loosely wrap the package, ensuring the foil edges are closed.
5. Place on low to medium heat on the barbeque. Turn frequently for 10-15 minutes.
6. Serve with sour cream, apple sauce or hot chili pepper sauce.
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
12 Potato & Cheddar Perfect Pierogies, cut into pieces
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
½ tspn pepper
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
sour cream and chopped chives for garnish
Heat canola oil to medium high in a heavy bottomed soup pot. Add onions and cook for three minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional two minutes. Add stock and water. Then add pierogies. Cook for five minutes until dough pieces start to float to the top. Add cheddar, pepper and parsley and stir until the cheese melts.
Ladle into large bowl, garnish with chives and sour cream. Serve with a chunky bread for a hearty meal.
Important: The soup is best served as soon as it is piping hot. After a couple of hours, the dough soaks up most of the liquid. But not all is lost! It makes a nice creamy side dish!