Time: 45 minutes
- 1 package Perfect Pierogies Spinach & Feta perogies
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup old cheddar, grated
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- ¾ cup cooked mushrooms
- ½ cup Parmesan, grated
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ fresh dill, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Cook pierogies according to package instructions. Drain well, set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, oregano, black pepper, chili powder, salt and cheddar. Mix well, then add in green onions and mushrooms.
- Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick spray. Add three tablespoons of egg mixture to bottom of pan. Arrange cooked pierogies inside pan. Top with remaining egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and paprika.
- Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until centre is set.
- Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes before removing springform pan. Top with chopped dill. Serve with crusty bread for breakfast or with a green salad for lunch or a light supper.
Note: This recipe can easily be made in an 8 x 8 baking pan or large pie dish.
Ten Ways to Top Your Perfect Pierogies!
- Sauerkraut pierogy covered with apple sauce
- Cottage Cheese pierogy with sour cream and hot sauce
- Potato & Cheddar pierogy with sour cream, carmelized onions and bacon
- Spinach & Feta pierogy covered in butter, steamed broccoli and melted cheddar cheese
- Spicy Chili pierogy with sour cream and chunky salsa
- Sauerkraut pierogy with fried mushroom, onion and turkey sausage
- Cottage Cheese pierogy wrapped in bacon and topped with Dijon mustard
- Potato & Cheddar pierogy covered in marinara pizza sauce, mushrooms and pepperoni
- Spinach & Feta pierogy smothered in Greek yogurt, cucumber and red onion
- Spicy Chili pierogy with chili flakes and hot chili sauce
- 12 of any flavour of Perfect Pierogies
- 2 cans mushroom soup
- Bacon (amount to preference)
- 1 package Onion Soup mix
- Mozzarella Cheese – 1 cup or preference
- Jalapenos (optional)
- Flash cook/blanch pierogies.
- Fry Bacon until crisp. Add bacon and onion soup mix to cans of mushroom soup.
- Pour over pierogies or layer, top with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 325º F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil on low for about 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
- Cool and serve!
- For the wild ones add Jalapenos!
- 1-2 Packages of Perfect Pierogies
- Salty boiling water
- 17 slices of quality bacon
- Brown sugar
- Tooth picks
- Use our Potato and Cheddar frozen Perfect Pierogies for this recipe.
- Boil a large pot of salty water. When at a full boil, carefully drop just enough frozen pierogies so that they will not touch when they float to the top of the pot. Immediately stir so they do not stick to the bottom of the pot and break. Let water come to a gentle boil again, and as soon as it starts to boil, turn water down to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. When the Pierogies rise to the surface, cook an extra 1-2 minutes till tender. 6-7 minutes total.
- Remove pierogies from pot by using a slotted spoon to take them out individually and rest on a plate with olive oil so they do not stick together. Repeat until all Pierogies are cooked. Can refrigerate over night.
- When pierogies are cool, wrap each pierogi with half a piece of bacon and place on baking sheet. Sprinkle with brown sugar if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400º F or until brown, turning once.
- Put pierogies on a plate with toothpicks on each one.
- Serve pierogies with sour cream on the side (or in a dish in the middle). Sprinkle sour cream with chives or dill for added color and presentation. You can also serve hot sauce on the side for the few who like a “spicy” pierogi sauce.
A special thank you to Maria Krawec for submitting the following delicious recipe that is a new take on a Canadian favourite – Pierogy Poutine! Maria has been making this dish for her friends in the Ukrainian community for a some time. She says it is a great way to dress-up leftover pierogies. We know that this will quickly become one of your favourite ways to enjoy Perfect Pierogies!
- 1 pkg Perfect Pierogies – Potato & Cheddar based works best
- Oil for frying or deep frying
- Leftover gravy
- Bothwell Squeakers cheese curds
- Your favorite garnishes – crumbled bacon, chopped green onions, etc.
- Prepare pierogies as per package directions or if you have, use leftover pierogies.
- Heat gravy, set aside and keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a pan or deep fryer, depending on which you are using. Fry the perogies until golden brown. Note: They are already cooked, so you’re just trying to colour and crisp the outside.
- Place fried perogies on a plate with a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Keep warm in a low oven.
- To assemble: Arrange perogies on a plate. Layer cheese curds, then gravy. Garnish with your favorite garnishes.
Enjoy! OR In Ukrainian… “Smachno ho!”
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 package of Perfect Pierogies – Potato & Cheddar
- 1 package stuffing mix or 2 cups of leftover stuffing
- 2 cups leftover (cooked) turkey, shredded
- 1 can or 2 cups roasted turkey gravy
- 1 can or 1 ¾ cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Boil pierogies as package directs. Drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare stuffing mix as package directs.
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Grease 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon stuffing on bottom of baking dish; top with turkey and gravy. Arrange cooked pierogies in single layer on gravy. Cover with foil; bake 30 minutes.
- Remove foil; top pierogies with cranberry sauce.
You don’t have to be Ukrainian to love this Lasagna! Try this delicious take on an Italian favourite. Your family will be begging for more!
- 2 lb ground beef
- 2-3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 x 284 ml cans tomato soup
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 beaten eggs
- 500 g shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tbsp salad oil
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 500 g dry cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 kg pkg. Potato & Cheddar Perfect Pierogies
- Brown ground beef in skillet and drain off oils.
- Sauté onion & garlic in oil in skillet, add cooked ground beef, soup, ketchup, water and seasonings. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix cottage cheese with beaten egg and sour cream.
- Chop each pierogy into four sections.
- Spoon half of the meat sauce into a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan (glass pan preferably). Layer with half of the chopped pierogies. Layer with half of the cottage cheese mixture. Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella cheese and half of the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat for a second layer. Sprinkle chopped fresh dill over top.
- Bake 1 hour at 350º F. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- 1 dozen Perfect Pierogies
- 1 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp. water
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ cup diced bacon
- Place your favourite flavour of Perfect Pierogies on a double layer of aluminum foil.
- Spread butter or margarine over the pierogies.
- Add water, onions and bacon.
- Loosely wrap the package, ensuring the foil edges are closed.
- Place on low to medium heat on the barbeque. Turn frequently for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream, apple sauce or hot chili pepper sauce.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 12 Potato & Cheddar Perfect Pierogies, cut into pieces
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- sour cream and chopped chives for garnish
- Heat canola oil to medium high in a heavy bottomed soup pot.
- Add onions and cook for three minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional two minutes.
- Add stock and water. Then add pierogies. Cook for five minutes until dough pieces start to float to the top.
- Add cheddar, pepper and parsley and stir until the cheese melts.
- Ladle into large bowl, garnish with chives and sour cream.
- Serve with a chunky bread for a hearty meal.
Note: The soup is best served as soon as it is piping hot. After a couple of hours, the dough soaks up most of the liquid. But not all is lost! It makes a nice creamy side dish!
- 1 Dozen Perfect Pierogies – (Classic Potato & Cheddar or Spicy Chili are great choices for this recipe)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tsp melted butter, ghee or olive oil
- Dry Rub of Choice (optional) – homemade or store bought
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
- Add Perfect Pierogies to a large pot of boiling water added with 1 tbsp of olive oil (to keep them separated). Boil for 5-10 minutes, stiring often, until Pierogies float. Drain. (Now would be a great opportunity to caramelize some onions – yum!)
- In a large bowl, add 2-3 tsp of melted butter, ghee or olive oil then add cooked Pierogies. Toss until all are fully coated.
- Optional: Give the Pierogies a “dry rub” – and toss until all are coated again.
- Fire up the Q! Heat up the barbeque to 400 degrees – HOT!
- Grease the grill with oil or cooking spray (there are many different types of oils in spray form now).
- Place the cooked Pierogies DIRECTLY onto the grill and close the lid. Let cook for 2 minutes or until they get those “drool worthy” grill markings. Then flip and repeat.
- Remove from grill and serve warm.
- At this point the options are endless! Enjoy dry – as is or lightly coat with butter or bbq sauce or top with sour cream and onions (see caramelized idea in step 2).